Thursday 7 January 2010

INSPIRATION






From an early age I would look at photographs from the 60s and 70s, and recognise how everything was much more free, there was experiments happening, people were naive and happy. Everything looked much colourful. I'd listen to my dad's cassettes, and look through his records, mesmerized by the boldness and the excitement of it all.
When I was 3 years old, I noticed a VHS tape on mum and dad's TV cabinet called 'Marc Bolan 20th Century Boy'. I was scared of the front cover, because I couldn't work out whether Marc was a boy or a girl. I put it in the video player. 'Dandy in the Underworld' came on and I was instantly mesmerized. This androgynous man pouted and sneered at the camera, with a cringeworthy mime, but still, this was far more interesting than 'Toybox' or 'Clangers'. This was fascinating. This was rock n' roll. This was history, dark and lively, glittering and enchanting.

Old images and sounds are, in my opinion, far more interesting than the watered- down sanitised media diarrhoea that comes out of the 21st century.

No comments:

Post a Comment